Well I’ve been thinking about starting a blog for almost a year now and I think now is finally the right time. It is a time of new beginnings…….graduating college, starting my career as a substitute teacher (until I get my own classroom!), and taking my health a little more seriously. Three years ago I cleaned up my diet by getting rid of most processed foods and using more vegetables in my meals and started working out daily (read my “about me” to learn more about this!). Now, I am looking to end my cravings, listen to my body, and free my mind by living a more nourished lifestyle! I love cooking and trying out recipes so I am excited to use this blog as a way to share these with others. I have had friends and family say that they would love to do what I’m doing, so I hope this can be a way to help with that too.
For my first post, I want to share the amazing breakfast I had this morning! I found it a while back: http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/overnight-pumpkin-spice-oats-parfait-again/ and have had it twice this week now!
Overnight Pumpkin Spice Oat Parfait
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 Tbsp pure pumpkin puree
- ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, & cloves to taste
- 1 large banana, peeled & sliced
- 4 squares whole wheat graham crackers
- The night before you intend to eat the parfait, combine the oats, yogurt, milk, pumpkin, spices, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Also the night before, place the banana slices in a ziploc bag and freeze overnight.
- In the morning, place the frozen banana slices into a food processor (or high-speed blender) and process/blend until smooth and creamy. I blend with a splash of almond milk.
- Place the graham crackers into a plastic bag and crush with a skillet or other heavy item until they turn into coarse crumbs.
- Layer the cold pumpkin spice oats with the banana soft serve and graham cracker crumbs. I top with a small bit of almond butter!